Thursday, August 26, 2010

Another Piece of the Migration Puzzle

I’ve been working on the Knura family migration for awhile. They migrated from Germany to the Netherlands. My grandfather came over in the 1930’s and I speculated on his reasons in my post Immigration Speculation. I also reconstructed the migration of the entire Knura family. My grandfather’s brothers came and went, their reasons were simple, they came here for a long or a short while to work then returned home.

But what surprised me was that it weren’t the Knura men who came here first. It were two Knura sisters, Anna and Maria, who arrived here sometime before 1925. I couldn’t figure out why two young, unmarried women came to a foreign country. Until I discovered a new website devoted to migration to and from the Netherlands.

Between 1920 and 1940 thousands of German women came to the Netherlands to work as servants in Dutch homes. Some of them eventually went back to Germany, like Maria. Others fell in love and married Dutch men and stayed for the rest of their lives, like Anna.

This site has given me another piece of the migration puzzle that is presented to me by the Knura family. It even gives lists of resources about the subject. There’s a whole book devoted to this subject and I got it through Interlibrary Loan. Hopefully it will give me some ideas as to where to search for Anna and Maria’s entry into the country. For now, I am glad I have at least a partial answer as to what brought these two women to this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment